Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Kimchi for Breakfast

It's only day two of orientation and I feel like so much has happened already!

First of all, my mom saved us from having to sit several rows away from each other on the plane. (Thank you Mom!!!) The 14 hour flight was filled with brief cat naps, plenty of movies, and random snacking. Thankfully, we were seated by a very friendly gentleman who helped us practice our Korean. Getting around Incheon airport was a cinch thanks to the Koreans who noticed we were confused and pointed us in the right direction.

During our first day of orientation, EPIK treated us to an exciting opening ceremony with Samulnori and Taekwondo performances. I was very glad I had thought to bring my camera!

The food has been delicious (they weren't lying when they said Kimchi would be served at every meal. It's strange to eat something so spicy for breakfast). The people have been incredibly helpful and kind and Andy and I have already been able to set up a bank account and take care of getting cell phones. The only "unpleasant" thing so far is the weather. It is incredibly muggy and hot! I feel like I'm in India all over again.



We began classes today. I am grateful that they gave us plenty of free time early in the week for us to catch up on sleep and get to know each other. We've met so many nice people already. Hopefully we can check out the town surrounding Jeonju University tomorrow tonight!






Saying goodbye at the airport



Crazy slippers we received on the flight.

Ready for Korea!

A view from my room.

Enjoying the wall art.




Leaving the United States


Here are some clips from the opening ceremony for orientation.

No comments:

Post a Comment