Thursday, September 13, 2012

I'm a Seoul Man... and other bad puns

My co-teacher, Jenny, and I at my welcoming dinner





It has been an eventful two weeks.

Teaching can be a challenge at times, but that makes the successful lessons all the more satisfying. I recently discovered the secret to getting the students to enjoy writing.




 
DRAWING! I have been working on a unit focusing on the phrase "What did you do yesterday?" Since writing a paragraph long story would be very difficult and boring for my  5th graders, I decided to do a comic book project. It was a hit! I was impressed by the drawing skills of my students, but I was particularly impressed by the vocabulary some of my kids used during the exercise. Our main sentences (from the book) were "I saw the moon." "I touched a snake." "I went to the museum." etc. But when one student wrote "Superman saw the fortress." I couldn't help but feel proud about the amount of creativity I was seeing in my classroom.











 Last weekend, there was a festival in downtown Cheongju and Andy and I were looking forward to checking out the celebration. When we arrived at the park where the festival path was supposed to begin, we didn't find much. There were a few groupings of yard sale-ish tables, and that was it. In hopes of finding the main events, we started to leave the park. That's when the leader of a group of young drummers called us over and asked to get a picture with us. I'm sure this won't be the last time that strangers ask us for a photo!




After searching for (and failing to find) the festival, we decided to go to the terminal and hop on a bus to Seoul. The hour and a half ride only cost about $7! We walked down Cheonggyecheon Stream, a beautiful site in the middle of the city.






After walking along the path, we grabbed dinner at a delicious Italian place (finally, pizza and alfredo!) and found a bustling market street. We did some modest shopping, found a really neat watch shop, and were home by 9:45pm. 

It was a great visit, but we haven't even scratched the surface of Seoul. I'm sure there are many more visits to the city in store for us.



No comments:

Post a Comment