Saturday, April 13, 2013

The Madness of March

So, it's been quite a while since our last post. A lot has happened, so let me begin by addressing what I'm sure is on everyone's minds.

What is going on with North Korea??!!!!!

My fellow expats and I are continuously answering this question for our friends and relatives... but I think I'm not alone when I say that I have to answer this question most of all for myself! We are bombarded on a daily basis with headlines about the newest rhetoric from Pyongyang and Kim Jong-un, headlines that warn the global community of a Korean Peninsula on the brink of war.

In spite of the tension these news pieces say exists, I am reassured by the absolute indifference to "threats" that is exhibited by my Korean coworkers and friends. Although I can't help but feel worry in the back of my mind, I do not really feel as if I'm in danger when my co-teacher consistently reassures me that everything is fine and when I read articles like this and this.

Nonetheless, I keep checking my embassy's website, and in the unlikely event that something should happen, I am mentally prepared to leave for the sake of my safety. All I can do is hope and pray that it won't come to that.


That having been said, Andy and I have been enjoying the slowly warming weather and are looking forward to taking in more of the beautiful sights of Korea!

In February, we went with a group of friends on a skiing trip. I had never been skiing before and I can't say how grateful I am to have such patient friends. Andy was a wonderful teacher who wouldn't let me give up, in spite of the first 45 minutes of crying and cursing him out. Something just clicked, and after I clumsily wove my way down for the first time, I couldn't wait to hop on the lift for another try. It was an afternoon full of many falls, bruises, and laughs.

Victory pose!




Another February highlight was our visit to the Seoul Museum of Art to see the Tim Burton Exhibition. We were able to view artwork spanning his career and it was fascinating to see that his distinctive style was present even in his childhood drawings. They also had student films and props from movies such as “Edward Scissorhands,” “Batman,” “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,” “Sleepy Hollow” and “Sweeny Todd.” It's a shame that we couldn't take photos inside the exhibit.




Just outside the exhibit








 March has come and gone in the blink of an eye. We began a new school year, took weekend trips to Seoul, and are enjoying the gradually warming weather. The cherry blossoms are out and in two weeks we'll be visiting Jindo for the Sea Parting and Butterfly Festivals. In spite of the political craziness, Korea continues to be a beautiful place for us to adventure.

 

Visiting the National Museum in Seoul






Enjoying one of the warmer days at the Fortress in Cheongju

Pieces from the National Museum of Contemporary Art



Cherry Blossoms in Cheongju

No comments:

Post a Comment